On 5/6/2014 8:28 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
Hi Hans,

Thanks for your attention to the issue pointed out by Sanjoy.

On 6 mai 2014, at 20:14, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl
<mailto:pra...@wxs.nl>> wrote:
[…]
all minus' are below the baseline so consider it a feature

Yes this is the case in recent versions of mkiv, but in Plain TeX and
mkii this is not the case: there the minus sign in \pm is aligned with
the baseline.

I agree with Sanjoy and Mikael to say that it the minus sign in \pm
should be aligned with the baseline: however I don’t know if this can be
easily achieved.

so how about \mp then ...

\starttext
                               $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
    \switchtobodyfont[pagella] $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
    \switchtobodyfont[termes]  $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
    \switchtobodyfont[cambria] $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
    \switchtobodyfont[bonum]   $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
    \switchtobodyfont[schola]  $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
\stoptext

the + aligns on the math axis so one can argue if the type-one variant is ok ... so we would need a smaller (less height) + then which would look visually weird

(all can be achieved ... but the idea of lm/gyre fonts is to provide an acceptable consistent set ... at some point we can think of variants - or maybe the fonts have a variant already)