On Fri May 16 23:51:08 2014, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5/16/2014 10:56 PM, Aíre Funvake wrote:

>>> Thank you, will re-read it forthwith, must have missed something.
>>> It just feels wrong to put re-usable project files inside the
>>> distribution tree. Still feel like an idiot, if not more so.
>
> project specific files go into
>
> <texroot>/texmf-project/tex/context/user
>
> additional fonts into
>
> <texroot>/texmf-fonts/fonts/data
>
> these are in the tds tree but never overwritten
>
>>> Can anyone enlighten me then as to the purpose of `$HOME/texmf`,
>>> `$TEXMF/tex/texmf-local`, `$TEXMF/tex/texmf-fonts`, etc.,
>>> considering they are all, for example, configured in the file:
>>> `$TEXMF/tex/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf`? Which I assumed incorrectly
>>> it seems, the name resolvers would use.
>>
>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/177459/learning-plain-tex-via-contexts-luatex-plain-format
>>

> context mkiv doesn't use texmf.cnf at all but texmfcnf.lua instead
> (and also has its own file management subsystem)
>
> already right from the start context had process management with
> 'texmfstart + texexec' (mkii) and 'mtxrun + context' (mkiv)
>
> Hans

Thank you very much. Does this apply to LuaTeX-plain as well
(`luatex.exe --fmt luatex-plain`)? LuaTeX works fine if I set
 `$TEXMFHOME` (MacOSX) or `%TEXMFHOME%` (Windows) environment
variables, or put files in default location `$HOME/texmf` (Mac).
But otherwise, I seem to have problems. Will try the to use
the `texmf-project/..` and `texmf-fonts/..` directories though.