Thanks Hans,

while I did experiment I had no chance at divining the correct dimension
distance=-\dimexpr\textwidth+2mm below.

So, with that, my bare bones marginbar in the right margin could look like the
one in the file below. Where do I squeeze in the alternative=1
option to get dotted lines? When I put it into \definesidebar, the sidebar
disappears, and when I  write \startsidebar[oeps,alternative=1]
it reverts to the default left sidebar (albeit dotted).

Matthias

\setupmargindata  [left]
                  [location=right,
                   style=\bfxx]
\setupmarginframed[left]
                  [frame=on,
                   framecolor=darkgray,
                   corner=round,
                   offset=3pt,
                   width=2cm,
                   align=middle]

\definesidebar[oeps][rulecolor=blue,distance=-\dimexpr\textwidth+2mm,rulethickness=.1pt]

\starttexdefinition startRightbar
  \bgroup
    \startsidebar[oeps]
\stoptexdefinition

\starttexdefinition stopRightbar
  \stopsidebar
  \egroup
\stoptexdefinition

\starttext

\input knuth
Just a few lines of text before the marked text.

\inmargin{Don’t\\read\\me\\again}
\startRightbar
\input tufte
\stopRightbar

And a few lines of text after the marked text.

\stoptext