On 6/24/2014 9:53 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
On 2014-06-24 08:03, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 6/23/2014 10:50 PM, Peter Münster wrote:
On Mon, Jun 23 2014, Peter Münster wrote:

No solution, just a smaller MWE:

Yet smaller, but I don't know, if it's still the same problem:

\starttext
\bTABLE
\bTR \bTD A xxxxxxxxxxxxx \eTD \bTD[nc=2] A \eTD \eTR
\eTABLE
\stoptext

after lots of experiments (adapting the width guesser) i decided to
stick to a simple check and warning; the first column will be ok but
the second one to wide (btw, one solution was to set maxwidth to a
large value)

catching all possible errors in coding a table is undoable (plus
unpredictable)

(xtables work ok btw)

Hans

Hans,

While xtable works fine for Peter's reduced MWE, it does not handle the
problem first presented, which includes an alignment character for
columns of mark-separated numbers. By my understanding of how xtable
works, I suspect that it will not be able to handle this requirement.

In this case I can get by with explicitly setting column widths as
needed to prevent the error. I have been using the following code to get
the width of what appears to be the widest element in a column:

    %% This gets the width of simple things; from Hans on the mailing
    %%   list http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/024390.html
    %%   example usage: \SetWidthOf{\ColContent}\to\ColContentWidth\relax
    %%   or: \SetWidthOf{Column Content}\to\ContentWidth\relax
    \def\SetWidthOf#1\to#2%
      {\bgroup
       \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#1}%
       \expanded{\egroup\def\noexpand#2{\the\wd\scratchbox}}}

Is TABLE with explicit column widths the best solution for now on tables
that require number alignment, or do you recommend another table mechanism?

you can avoid the nc triggering width distribution with

    \setupTABLE[maxwidth=100cm]

(in the case of unpredictable nc the available width is distributed and the xxxxxxxx doesn't break)