Hi,

Thanks for your attention, Wolfgang: indeed removing
        \analyzecurrentreference
from your example allows mkiv to typeset correctly and obtain the expected
result.

Regarding Marco Patzer’s smartref command, I can typest the following example
if I \input directly

        \input conditionalfloatreferences.mkvi

but invoking

        \usemodule[conditionalfloatreferences]

does not work. (By the way I didn’t check whether the module is included in the
minimals: so I am sending the file with this mail).
Best regards: OK

%%% begin test-smartref.tex
%\usemodule[conditionalfloatreferences]
\input conditionalfloatreferences.mkvi

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\starttext
{\bf Test 1:}

See \smartref{figure}[fig:alpha] and \smartref{figure}[fig:gamma].

See \smartref{equation}[eq:Fermat].
\page

{\bf Test 2:}

See \smartref{figure}[fig:alpha] and \smartref{figure}[fig:gamma].

See \smartref{equation}[eq:Fermat].

\startplacefigure [reference=fig:alpha] \externalfigure \stopplacefigure
\startplacefigure [reference=fig:beta]  \externalfigure \stopplacefigure

\input knuth.tex
\placeformula[eq:Fermat]
\startformula
a,b,c \in {\Bbb N}^*, \quad n \geq 3, \quad a^n + b^n = c^n \imply abc = 0.
\stopformula

\page
{\bf Test 3:}

See \smartref{figure}[fig:alpha] and \smartref{figure}[fig:gamma].

See \smartref{equation}[eq:Fermat].

\startplacefigure [reference=fig:gamma] \externalfigure \stopplacefigure
\startplacefigure [reference=fig:delta] \externalfigure \stopplacefigure

\page

{\bf Test 4:}

See \smartref{figure}[fig:alpha] and \smartref{figure}[fig:gamma].

See \smartref{equation}[eq:Fermat].
\page

{\bf Test 5:}

See \smartref{figure}[fig:alpha] and \smartref{figure}[fig:gamma].

See \smartref{equation}[eq:Fermat].

\stoptext
%%% end test-smartref.tex