On 17 aug. 2014, at 20:06, <joshua.krae...@gmail.com> wrot

> On 2014-08-15, 19:56, Robert Blackstone wrote:
>
>> A few days ago I posted this question. There were no reactions, but
>> it is not an urgent matter for me anymore since I found an effective
>> work-around. (Although I still wonder whether or not this possibility
>> exists in mkiv,)
>
> I have not seen the issue you have described myself.  The attached
> example works for me.  You have to prepare a minimal working example
> that shows the problem.  Maybe then somebody can identify the reason
> for your issue.

Hello Joshua,
Thanks for your reaction.
The minimal example you gave works here as well, but it does not really concern
the problem I had.

When you add a section right at the beginning of the chapter, as is the case
for nearly all of the chapters of my project, things become different.
Here is your ME with sections added:

%\startfrontmatter
%\input knuth
%\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter

\setuphead [chapter] [
        number=yes,
        alternative=middle,
        style=\tfa \bf,
        after={\blank[0.5cm]},
]

\chapter{One}
\section{One a}
\input knuth

\setuphead [chapter] [
        number=yes,
        alternative=middle,
        style=\tfa \bf,
        after={\blank[0.1cm]},
]

\chapter{Two}

\section{Two a}
\input knuth

\stopbodymatter

Despite different setups for the chapter head the distances: chapter head -
section head - beginning of the text,  are identical in both chapters (±1
pixel).
But I have realized now, a bit late, that for real control over these distances
one also needs to setup the section-head in a similar manner, additionally
specifying the distance "before".
The presence or absence of Frontmatter does not influence results.
I think there must have been a setup command somewhere in my setups that I had
forgotten about.

Kind regards,
Robert