Hi,

new in next beta

%D Sometimes you have a document wide (page) background but need to overload it %D locally. In such case (at least in my experience) the only values that get set %D are the background and backgroundcolor (if set at all). A full inheritance chain %D would complicate things because then we need to use named backgrounds which in %D turn will make this mechanism slower. I considered independent local backgrounds %D but that also complicates the code (not that much) but isolation means that we %D need to set more parameters each time. The following simple approach proabbly
%D suits most usage.

\starttext

    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=red]
    \input tufte
    \page
    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=,backgroundcolor=]
    \input tufte
    \page
    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=red]
    \input tufte
    \page
    \pushbackground[page]
        \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=green]
        \input tufte
        \page
    \popbackground
    \input tufte