On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 16:12:43 +0200
Sander Maijers <s.n.maij...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My .bib file is being autogenerated by Mendeley, a reference manager,
> and changes often in terms of contents. That workflow seems
> incompatible with your solution. Furthermore, I may not let the
> authors appear in citations with all their names every time, it should
> be limited to the first time (the APA 6 rules, that I referred to).
> With your solution, 1 out of n citations would be correct, while in
> the current situation (without manual intervention) n-1 out of n would
> be correct (all but the first).

Although it is not yet "production" ready, we are working on this issue
with the new mkiv-bibliography subsystem. The rendering of citations
and the rendering of bibliography lists can be quite complicated, as
you are showing.

I note a second issue here: As you are working with an
autogenerated .bib file, you may have less control over its contents,
so playing with the field contents is not a solution.

Alan