Am 22.11.2014 um 21:32 schrieb John Kitzmiller:
> Given rectangles with text:
>
>     \starttext
>     Before:\\
>     \startMPcode
>       draw unitsquare xscaled 2cm yscaled 1cm;
>     \stopMPcode
>     \\
>     After:\\
>     \startMPcode
>       for i=0 upto 1:
>         draw unitsquare scaled 1cm xshifted i*cm;
>       endfor;
>     \stopMPcode
>     \stoptext
>

> How can a line be drawn connecting the right edges of the rectangles? I
> have played with:
>
>     \startuniqueMPgraphic{line}
>       path a;
>       a:=(0,0)--(0,3cm);
>       draw a withpen pencircle scaled 3pt withcolor green;
>     \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>
>     \defineoverlay[line][{\uniqueMPgraphic{line}}]
>

> and using it in \framed, but placing the line correctly is elusive.

Just a quick and dirty solution. The trick is to draw the extra line as
part of the graphic and then fake the boundingbox. This is also limited
to a few centimeter, objects are cut off after you reach that
'invisible' border around the boundingbox.

I would use uniqueMPgraphic with proper parameters for the graphics.
Using overlays is also possible (urcorner OverlayBox), but I see no real
need or benefit to do so.

HTH,  Peter
\startMPinclusions
  numeric lw; lw:= 1;
  numeric n; n:= 8;
  numeric u; u:= 1cm;
\stopMPinclusions

\starttext
Before:\\
\startMPcode
  pickup pencircle scaled lw;
  draw unitsquare xyscaled (n*u,u);
\stopMPcode
\\
After:\\
\startMPcode
  path p,q;
  pickup pencircle scaled lw;
  p:= unitsquare scaled u;
  for i=0 upto n-1:
      draw p xshifted i*u;
  endfor;
  q:= boundingbox currentpicture;
  draw (urcorner(q) shifted(-.5lw,-.5lw)) -- (urcorner(q) shifted(-.5lw,-.5lw +1.5u));
  setbounds currentpicture to q;
\stopMPcode