Hi,

I uploaded a new beta. The most interesting new thing is that the Lua based hyphenator is now better integrated. I showed that one (plus some features) at the last context meeting, and decided to clean it up a bit and prepare it for extensions. It might become the default hyphenator at some point. Performance is quite ok, especially when you take into account that the amount of time spent on hyphenating is not that large.

You can test it with:

\setuphyhenation[method=traditional]

enables it and as by default we are a bit more tolerant to what a word is, you can enforce a more strict behaviour with

\sethyphenationfeatures[strict]

It is possible to control some aspects (even within a paragraph) but some of that is experimental. I'm working on a manual that explains details about how hyphenation works and how one can write plugins.

There is already support for explicit hyphens and joiners (the default set) and patterns as discussed in "Hyphenation in OpenOffice.org" (TUGboat, Volume 27, 2006) should also work; you can for instance register additional patterns like this:

\registerhyphenationpattern[en][eigh1tee/t=t,5,1]

But that's for the happy few who understand and/or love such weird syntaxes. Anyway, this is the time to ask for more if you are in need,