On 1/27/2015 8:16 PM, Keith Schultz wrote:
Hi Jörg,

Though, generally, the von, as well as a few others, are nobility particles in
Germany, but not necessarily always
noblility particles, but at times signify the place where a persons ancestor
came from!

Now, in the case Goethe you are right that he was ennobled. Therefore the von
is not truly part of his name.
He should be listed as you rightly mentioned under Goethe and not "von Goethe“.

It is impossible for a bibliographic system to handle this, so there is no
switch for it!

you can try to wrap thing that belong together in { } ... it might work

So, it is up to the author of a text to set up his entries properly, by putting
the von in the right part of the name field.

indeed, not all can be catched in a poorly specified format

btw, context loads the bib data in memory and fields of type author get split into multiple authors and each is split into parts; most magic is under our own control so we can always add variants if needed (maybe some prefix that indicates a german name or so) but anyway this whole von business is on our agenda