On 5/13/2015 6:09 PM, david.boerschl...@juno.com wrote:
I am still not able to set up the Noto fonts due mostly to sketchy/lack-of
documentation on setting up ConTeXt fonts.

I understand I need to set up typescripts but do not understand the syntax
and/or semantics of the different commands and how to map the font names/paths
(otf and ttf files) to reference them in the typescripts.   I would like to
create a utility that will create the typescript file for MKIV from the otf/ttf
files themselves.

Please provide me with any help/documentation.

In addition to wolfgangs mail: there is not much science involved in typescripts, just take another type-imp-*.mkiv file as example ...

type-imp-noto.mkiv :

\starttypescriptcollection[noto]

    \starttypescript [serif] [noto] [name]
        \setups[font:fallback:serif]
        \definefontsynonym
           [Serif]
           [file:notowhatever.ttf]
           [features=default]
        \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]
           [file:notowhateverbold.ttf]
           [features=default]
        \definefontsynonym
           [SerifItalic]
           [file:notowhateveritalic.ttf]
           [features=default]
        \definefontsynonym
          [SerifBoldItalic]
          [file:notowhateverbolditalic.ttf]
          [features=default]
    \stoptypescript

    \starttypescript[noto]
        \definetypeface [noto] [rm] [serif] [noto]   [default]
        \definetypeface [noto] [ss] [sans]  [dejavu] [default]
        \definetypeface [noto] [tt] [mono]  [dejavu] [default]
        \definetypeface [noto] [mm] [math]  [times]  [default]
    \stoptypescript

\stoptypescriptcollection

\setupbodyfont[noto]

You need to figure out the right filenames yourself (not that hard as you downloaded them I assume). But simplefonts is less lines of code and you only need such a typescript if you want to have long term guarantees (as it depends less on heuristics)