On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 11:12 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 20.05.2015 um 16:43 schrieb Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is not strictly a ConTeXt question.
>>
>> I have two almost identical figures which I want to display one after
>> the other. Ideally that would be on the same page with the combination
>> of both having a single figure number (and possibly the two individual
>> figures having labels (a) and (b), but that's not strictly required).
>>
>> However if the page breaks are not favourable, it would be OK to split
>> the two figures, so that one ends up on the bottom of the previous
>> page and the second one on the top of the new page.
>>
>> I could use two separate figure numbers, but then I would need to
>> change the text that references the figures (and when the layout
>> changes, so that I would figure out that both figures would eventually
>> fit on a single page, I would have to change the text again).
>>
>> Is there any reasonable (and acceptable) solution to that? One option
>> would be to have
>>    "Figure 1.5a: description"
>> on the first page and
>>    "Figure 1.5b: description"
>> on the second page while a reference to the figure would still show
>> "Figure 1.5", but I'm not sure if this is doable.
>>
>> I would like to hear if anyone had a similar "challenge" and what
>> solution you used.
>

> \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{5}{\input ward }
> %\dorecurse{2}{\input ward }
>
> \startplacefigure[location=split,title=Float dummy]
>         \startxtable[frame=off,align=middle]
>                 \startxrow
>                         \startxcell
>                                 \dontleavehmode\externalfigure[cow]
>                         \stopxcell
>                 \stopxrow
>                 \startxrow
>                         \startxcell
>                                 \dontleavehmode\externalfigure[hacker]
>                         \stopxcell
>                 \stopxrow
>         \stopxtable
> \stopplacefigure
>
> \stoptext

Impressive.

I'm still scratching my head because I don't understand the magic
behind this trick (unless Hans and Wolfgang were reading my mind a
while ago when this was implemented), but curiously it does exactly
what I wanted to achieve.

To Alan:

> What is the philosophical difference between Figure 1.5a ... Figure
> 1.5b and Figure 1.5 ... Figure 1.6?

The difference is that one then needs to say "See Figure 1.5 and 1.6"
somewhere in text instead of just "See Figure 1.5".

Mojca