Dear Pablo,

Thank you very much for what you proposed — it did work indeed. I tried to
achieve the same at some length this afternoon. I think I understand what is
going on in the first macro, but wouldn’t have been able to arrive at the  the
second one for \variant, or the counter (and still don’t fully understand it).
Thanks again.

Hans, Idris, Thomas, and others interested in critical editions: I wonder
whether this code — with the user-facing command \variant{#1}{#2} — might be
something that could become part of an eventual CritTeXt package.

With many thanks and all best wishes,
Talal

p.s. I had thought it better to add this on to the old thread, since the topic
was contiguous. Admittedly, I’m not sure what the proper etiquette for such
matters is.