On 7/22/2015 3:47 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 14:54:17 +0200
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schm...@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

On 07/22/2015 02:45 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
The
project/product/component mechanism can help somewhat. I also know
that Thomas had written a streams module to handle the
synchronization of texts. However, I am not so sure how to go about
this in a real, full-fledged case with a complicated text.

Correction: "Thomas had a streams module written (by Hans)." I used
it for a bilingual document for my course material, but in the end,
it turned out that using it for a "real" book would have been
extremely complex. In my field, there are numerous books with a
bilingual layout, but I guess they are all still handcrafted, i.e.
manual page breaks etc. I just shudder to think what would happen if
someone has to add three words on page 3 of such a book - they would
have to redo every single darn pagebreak?

There are several different issues. Synchronization can be
line-by-line, paragraph-by-paragraph, sectionblock-by-sectionblock...
or, as is the case with the posting of this thread, part-by-part (i.e.
halves). The different "products" in multiple languages might only be
"synchronized" by structure, not by rendering at all.

Maybe Mari (and others) have regular experience in managing
multilingual documents and maintaining them under modification. And I
bring up this issue under the present thread as managing left-to-right
mixed with right-to-left text is a further complication that Idris (and
others) address regularly.

To some extend we can typeset in parallel but only with properly structured input (and xml is then probably the best candidate). Anyway I think that the editing is the bottleneck: how does one most conveniently edit in parallel? We might need to think about that first: the typeseting component should adapt, convenient editing is core issue.