Thank you very much for this, Idris. What with the other bugs and problems I’ve
faced with R2L (in footnotes, etc.), I was starting to wonder whether a more
explicit, rather than global, use of RTL might be a better approach. I’m going
to experiment with them, at least to learn how to use them with greater focus.

The good news is that apparently Hans has already patched the page-lin.lua file
that Wolfgang had identified as the culprit, and it will be included in the
next beta.

Many thanks to you, Pablo, Wolfgang, and of course Hans so much for your help
in getting these right-to-left issues solved. There are a couple of small bidi
issues remaining, including that mentioned in the “footnotes when using RtL
(Arabic)” thread. The one or two other ones I will post shortly. But, in any
case, I have now completely moved my project over into ConTeXt, confident that
it (and the team behind it) can handle all of the needs of a multilingual
academic monograph and of a bi-direction, Arabic critical edition’s need

With many thanks,
Talal