Thank you Alan. setrange is the key I had not tried and I will be more careful
with (2).

This may not be the proper way to ask, but it is related to the topic: how to
get Hobby’s Figure 9 from the mpgraph manual to work using m-graph?

http://ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/doc/metapost/source-manual
<http://ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/doc/metapost/source-manual>

Thanks again,
John