Perfect.  I think that modes will work nicely.

To further explain my use case:  I have a manuscript, which I would like
to continue to evolve with editorial comments, suggestions, ideas for
further development (some generated by the author, others by reviewers).

At any given time the "text" of the document is lagging the editorial
input.  Revisions of the project are under "mercurial" source code
control.  The primary view of the document is to be a publication ready
version, but in its draft form, the author's version should include the
work-in-progress.  Eventually, the editorial comments may diminish or be
left for another day, and the work-in-progress will get incorporated
into the main text.  The "publication" view is useful if you have
multiple people reviewing the book, and you don't want to proliferate
the union of all editorial comments into the review copy.

I wanted to capture this author-editor workflow under ConTeXt.  I think
modes will be just what I need.

Thanks.

--
----