Pablo Rodriguez <oi...@gmx.es> writes:

> On 11/19/2015 09:15 PM, Carlos wrote:
>> Pablo, simply put, the system fonts, with the module simplefonts,
>> can't be found.
>>
>> Was OSFONTDIR exported? Yes.
>> Was the path specified correctly? Yes. In my case was /usr/share/fonts
>
> Which is the output from "kpsewhich --var-value=OSFONTDIR"?

I no longer have the ubuntu installation
Pablo. 'please/set/osfontdir/environment/  I can start all over again
and install it, and remove all TeX Live remnants. Although the
issue here: is with the ubuntu packaged version. Texlive from ctan has
no problems whatsoever

> AfaIk, you should get /usr/share/fonts// (double slash to handle
> subdirectories).

Double slash? That's a new one. Although not surprising. Have you heard
of the go language by Google? They had some issues with it at one
point.

>> What command was used afterward? The mtxrun --script fonts --reload.
>
> You could try (after fixing path above when needed) "mtxrun --script
> fonts --reload --force".

Yes. I did the above. It made no difference.

>> Did you try other commands? Yes. Most notably context --generate, context
>> --make, luatools.
>
> I think these are unrelated tools (although I’m not an expert).

I was back and forth comparing one system (x64) with the (i386), and all
I was trying to do, was to zero out incompatibilities among the
two.

>> When was the first time the condition appeared? Some time last week,
>> after reading complaints from other computer users, who think texlive as
>> it's currently distributed, is disrespectful to users, e.g. most people
>> would not need every other package out there. (Of course, the above is
>> just not correct). But the other most readily option, is to install the
>> packaged distribution for ubuntu. The latter is what I did.
>
> For ConTeXt, I think it is better you use the ConTeXt Suite (an
> standalone ConTeXt distribution).
>
> As a matter of fact, I don’t have TeX Live (or LaTeX) installed. I only
> use the ConTeXt Suite (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone).

I've never had issues with texlive itself. Just with the packaged one for
ubuntu.

> I hope it helps (complain back, if it doesn’t :-)),

I'll gladly remove texlive and reinstall the ubuntu version. Thankfully
I don't have dialup now.

> Pablo

Thank you Pablo.