On 12/15/2015 8:46 AM, Marc Trius wrote:
Hello,

I'm using \scale to scale up a headline to the width of the entire
paragraph, like so:

\definefontfeature
[default]
[default]
[protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]

\def\scaleHead#1%
{\scale[width=\textwidth]{#1}}

\setuphead[subject]
[textcommand=\scaleHead]

\starttext

\subject{Call me Ishmael.}

Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in
my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I
would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a
way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

\stoptext

My problem is that I would like the period at the end of the first line
to hang, the same way I would get in the text body, and I can't figure
out how. What would be the correct way to accomplish this?

that would only work if you typeset with a \hsize that is exactly the length of the title which in turn means that you have to adapt the font size and even then tex will probably squeeze the spacing first

so the best is:

\subject{Call me Ishmael\rlap{.}}