A further observationthat makes things seem far worse: the error is dependent
on the content!
The document in question has several chapters, each in a separate file.
Dependent on the combination of files included, the error does or does not show
up. Sofar I cannot find a pattern linked to the error. Making a minimal example
proved impossible, alas.

Hans van der meer