On 1/16/2016 6:57 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jan 2016, Alexander Dyomin wrote:

Dear list,
when I stumble upon a slightly overhanging line (where it's not
allowed to hyphenate the hanging word and putting it on next line
leaves huge whitespaces), decreasing letterspacing in that line seems
like a good idea, and I manually insert \kerncharacters commands to do
the trick. Here's a MWE for the purpose of demonstration:

% ConTeXt code
\setuppapersize[A5]
\setupbackgrounds[text]
[rightframe=on,framecolor=red,rulethickness=0.1pt] %right margin line

\setupalign[hz,hanging] % microtypography enabled
\definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]

\definetypeface[mainface][rm][specserif][Linux Libertine O] [default]
\setupbodyfont[mainface,14pt]

\mainlanguage[russian]
\setupindenting[yes,medium,first]

\starttext

{\kerncharacters[-0.018] Здесь будет длинный-предлинный текст,
\mbox{в~коем}} никак нельзя перенести строку. Запрещено {
\kerncharacters[-0.008] разрывать телефонные номера, например,
\mbox{(000)1234-5678}}, многозначные числа и дефисные написания.
\stoptext

Is the a way for automating such negative tracking?

I seem to remember seeing a demo (either by Hans or Idris) for Arabic
typesetting where some optimizations were performed after the
linebreaks. I wonder if similar approach could be used here.

that assumes features in the font that can make text run wider or narrower

easier is to use \setupalign[stretch,tolerant]