On 1/28/2016 2:02 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:29:46 +0100
Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

How to make transparent shadings work with the new mechanism?

        withtransparency (1,.5)

next beta

\definecolor [trans] [a=multiply, t=.5, g=.5]

\startMPpage
      fill fullcircle scaled 12cm withcolor \MPcoloronly{trans};
      fill fullcircle scaled 10cm withcolor \MPcolor{trans};

      fill fullsquare xyscaled (15cm, 15cm)
        withshademethod "linear"
        withshadevector (0,1)
        withshadecolors (red,\MPcoloronly{trans})
        withtransparency \MPtransparency{trans}
      ;

\stopMPpage

I believe the \MPcoloronly and \MPtransparency macros split up the
\MPcolor in it's colour and transparency parts.

This doesn't really provide a solution to the initial problem as I
understand. Rather it seems to be a more robust way to use
transparency and prevent choking on colours that might contain
transparent parts.

In the old method we used special mp colors to store all kind of things which wasn't 100% robust either (because some colors were not possible then). Even then internally color and transparency had to be split in mp. The new syntax for shading is extensible.

You really don't want to know how extensions like shading and tex text and ... were implemented in mkii metapost.

I will shade to the background colour then, which is not that clean
but works as well. Anyway, thanks for the quick answer and the
clarification.