Am 2016-02-02 12:14, schrieb Hans Hagen:
On 2/2/2016 11:32 AM, Andreas Schneider wrote:
Anyway: is there any mechanism that I can use to "fix" quotations while typesetting XML documents? Pandoc produces "some text". In TeX I would usually use \quotation{some text} to have proper, language dependent quotes.

To me that looks like a pandoc bug: how is a backend supposed to deal
with left/right quotation marks?

My next try would be to somehow intercept the XML stream (or flush) using lua and replace " ... " inline. However that all seems quite hacky.

even then you can have issues: what if you have nested and/or
unbalanced quotes ...

Pandoc allows to replace quotes with "smart punctuation". That would cause "..." to be replaced by “...”. That way I can at least safely determine start and end, thereby replacing “ with \quotation\bgroup and ” with \egroup. I'm aware that there might still be cases where this goes wrong, but it should be much more rare then :-)

So I guess my lua based search and replace (combined with said "smart punctuation") could be my best bet at the moment. If any other ideas pop up, I'm happy to hear them, though :-)

Thanks for your quick response!

Best regards,
Andreas