On 2016-02-10 14:13:37 +0000, Hans Hagen said:

Ok, good to know. Any suggestion on how to select a font within a .ttc?

normally by name

Btw, I read in the wiki(*) that “the current version of LuaTeX (0.60)
has severe problems dealing with the new TrueType collection fonts in
Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6).”

0.60 is ancient ... we have approx 0.90 now

Is that still the case with the current LuaTeX (I am on El Capitan)? That
might explain my results.

i don't use osx but others can tell you

What is the best practice: do you recommended using only ttf and otf fonts?

ttc is okay

So, if someone using OS X could tell me how to, say, use Avenir Light or
Avenir Next Ultra Light (both are .ttc), that would be much appreciated :)

Nicola