On 3/7/2016 7:40 PM, Nicola wrote:
How do I check in ConTeXt whether a control sequence is already
defined (to avoid redefining it by accident)?

Marginally related to the above, I have tried to use \show, only to
discover, to my surprise, that it gives an error. For example:

\show\NL
\end

Does ConTeXt override some of TeX primitives?

yes, like \month ... but in general if you use uppercase or camelcase you're quite safe (there are some math symbols with uppercase but if you define your own commands you will probably not use those) ... mechanisms like tables that use \NC and so define them local