Thank you Wolfgang, this is a very good explanation.

One can simplify one's code, perhaps, by defining MP colors from
ConTeXt colors, as in:
        color orange ; orange := \MPcolor{orange} ;
Then,  one can use orange. There is not much point in redefining the
other colors (red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow, black, white) as
they are defined using the same rgb values.

In fact, \MPcolor{} simply injects "(r,g,b)" or "(c,m,y,k)" with
explicit values into the MP code.

Defining new MP colors is less general than explicitly using
\MPcolor{...}, for it is limiting, and it would be somewhat silly to
add definitions for all of the wonderful colors found in colo-imp-x11,
for example.

By the way, we added colo-imp-crayola having some funky, hallucinogenic
names (according to Hans) as well as colo-imp-ral.
(The first might be of interest to Americans and the second to
Europeans ;-)

Other collections, such as colo-imp-pantone and colo-imp-rosco are not
distributed due to copyright restrictions (but I have made private
copies, shhh!)

Alan