Thanks, Wolfgang!

\symbol[square] doesn't work for me, because the inside of the box has
to be white also when on gray background, i.e. I need a box filled
with white. I decided to do what I should've done in the first place
and brushed up enough of my MetaPost that I could create a box with
black outline and white fill (OK, I pinched most of it from the
MetaFun manual...). This seems to work:

\startuseMPgraphic{box3mm_filled}
    pickup pencircle scaled .02cm ;
    path p ; p := unitsquare scaled 3mm ;
    fill p withcolor white ;
    draw p withcolor black ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\definesymbol[box3mm][{\useMPgraphic{box3mm_filled}}]

\starttext

\dontleavehmode\symbol[box3mm] 1

\stoptext

Thank you for your speedy replies!