When I change the middle line in Wolfgang's example at the bottom of this message from:

a{\tt a} e{\tt e} A{\tt A}

             | to the below
x{\tt a} y{\tt e} z{\tt A}

I thought i should get:     aa   ee  and AA for  the given example
and: xa ye and zA for my modified version.

But the output is exactly the same. (Using; ConTeXt TDS Runner Tool 1.31)

So what do the letters preceding the { } groups do?
Can this behavior be easily explained or a reference given to me to understand this?