On 9/12/2016 10:02 PM, Hans Åberg wrote:

On 12 Sep 2016, at 21:45, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

On 9/12/2016 8:25 PM, Hans Åberg wrote:

But then there seems to be a bug in the LuaTex \letcharcode command: There must
be a character between “$” and the first occurring \activecatcode letter.
Possibly this also causes a bug in \startformula, as discussed before.

it's not a bug .. tex looks ahead for a second $ and in the process expands
the next token which happens to be a letter at that point so it gets injected
as letter (it's the way tex works)

I’m not sure what you mean here: I must write $ ‘𝐝𝐢𝐦’ 𝑉$, because $‘𝐝𝐢𝐦’ 𝑉$
will not see the \catcode`‘=\activecatcode. So LuaTeX must see an ordinary
letter after $ before it can see an \activecatcode character.

It does not happen with TeX using
  \catcode`\‘=\active
  \def‘#1’{\csname #1\endcsname}

sure, but when you do

\appendtoks
  \catcode`\‘=\active
  \def‘#1’{\csname #1\endcsname}
\to ...

only tokens get added to the register ... so the ‘ after the \def is not active (yet)

in addition when tex sees a $ it will look for a next token (in case it's a $ for display mode) and it sees a quote (no everymath doen then) which it will push back