On Sat, 17 Sep 2016, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:

Is there a reason why the above does not work using \item, like

\startitemize[a,horizontal,three]
\item $\int_0^2 1+2x\,dx$
\item $\int_0^{\ln 2} e^s\,ds$
\item $\int_0^{\ln 2} e^{2s}\,ds$
\item $\int_0^{\pi} \sin t\,dt$
\item $\int_0^{2\pi}\sin t\,dt$
\item $\int_0^1\frac{1}{1+x^2}\,dx$
\stopitemize

but only with \startitem ... \stopitem? It is not that I have anything
against using the \start...\stop... mechanism, but just curiosity.

I haven't looked at the code, but most likely reason is that it uses a two pass mechanism. It is easier to grab the content of a \start-stop pair rather than a command that could be terminated by either an \item or a \stopitem

At least, that is the reason why random option only works with \startitem .. \stopitem

Aditya