On 10/12/2016 9:30 AM, Nicola wrote:
On 2016-10-11 22:13:12 +0000, Hans Hagen said:

On 10/11/2016 9:37 PM, Nicola wrote:
On 2016-10-11 18:52:32 +0000, Alan Braslau said:

Of course, I *never* make MetaPost errors... ;-)

However, you can search the log file for
metapost        > error:

Sure. But there is no line number. Compare with a typical TeX error:

because there are no lines ... the library gets strings

Would it be possible to report at least the location of the enclosing
\...MP... block?

it will always be the line where such a block ends, i adapted the message a bit

tex error       > mp error on line 51 in file e:/tmp/oeps.tex:

>> foo
! Isolated expression.
<to be read again>
;
<*> ...draw fullcircle scaled (i) ; endfor ; foo ;

I couldn't find an `=' or `:=' after the
expression that is shown above this error message,
so I guess I'll just ignore it and carry on.

(the extra details at the end will be available in the next luatex binary as it needs an updated mplibrary).