On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 07:30:51PM +0200, Saša Janiška wrote:
> Russell Urquhart <russurquha...@verizon.net> writes:
> > About a year ago i really got into Asciidoc, and use it at my work for
> > technical writing.
> What are your output formats?

For my work, i output to html and pdf.

> > For me, i had some Context files, that had, for example, footnotes,
> > within footnotes, within footnots. This is very doable in
> > Context. Asciidoc, currently, does not support this multiple levels of
> > footnotes, so, as i expected, converting Context -> Asciidoc, was not
> > able to do this.
> Interesting…I also have need for footnotes within footnotes and hit that
> barrier with rst/markdown or some other non-AsciiDoc format
> recently. :-)

This is an example, imo, of the source format of your markup not havng a
richness of your target format.
> > My suggestions would be, as you are going from asciidoc to Context,
> > make sure that you are happy with what you can do in asciidoc. Context
> > should be able to readily handle a conversion from Pandoc.
> Well, considering that ConTeXt can do much more than AsciiDoc, maybe for
> regualr web content (blog posts, shorter articles etc.) I could simply
> use Markdown without even going to AsciiDoc which is interesting option
> only in case of being able to server as single-source format.

I had first started looking at Markdown, but then came to Asciidoc, as, imo,
Asciidoc is a superset of Markdown. In my previous job, and some in my current
job, there is a need to have tables that have cells that go across multiple
rows and/or columns. Asciidoc supports this. (Mainly because DocBook support
CALS tables.) Because of this, and all the other functionality, i manily use

With that said, when i want or need to have a fine typeset type book/manual,
something that might requrie extensive footnotes, indexes, specialized page
layouts, auto cross references, etc. AND i could not get that from Asciidoc,
then i would create my source in either Context, Docbook, or LaTex. (I haven't
used LaTex very much myself, but i know people who swear by it.)

At my previous job, we did LARGE technical manuals, and we used a customized
version of DocBook. When i was editing those books, we used Xmetal to edit the
source XML. I really didn't care for that, so i used Vim with various xml
plugins, to traverse and edit the xml. Now, as i use asciidoc, i still use Vim
with syntax highlighting. I also use Asciidco FX as an Asciidoc previewer. From
there i can also generate html and pdf. When i need more finely formatted pdf's
(with cover pages, front matter, back matter, multiple chapters, etc.) then i
use Asciidoc-fo pdf.

I would also check out Pandoc to go to and from various output format!

Hope that helps!