On 10/17/2016 7:19 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
On 10/17/2016 05:46 AM, Jamie Macbeth wrote:
Hello,

I was fed up with LaTeX, and became a newbie user of ConTeXt, and I
think it's great and I really agree with the philosophy.

Hi Jamie,

I’m also another newbie (I switched to ConTeXt years ago ;-)), although
I cannot code myself :-(.

One of the features I value most is direct typesetting of XML sources.

I know that \startitemize ...\stopitemize is very customizable, but I
would like to learn ConTeXt by learning how I could, for example, build
the itemize environment myself from scratch.  Can someone give me
pointers on the best place to start?  Then I can learn the code on my
own (and not be a pest on this list :) ).

If you want to go the hard way (it would be the impossible way for me
:-)), tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/strc-itm.mkvi may be the
file you are looking for.

The wiki offers some explanation on the topic
(http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Enumerations). You might be interested in
improving it.

Just in case it helps,

(1) unfortunately the itemize mechanism is one of the oldest mechanisms so it has some of the rudiments of small memory, limitations on registers and macros etc; i probably have to rewrite it to get it cleaner but it then can break compatibility so for now i leave the code as it is

(2) watching the code with the same editor lexing as I do helps (one can typeset the code with "context --extra=listing --scite --verycompact somefile.mkiv" to get an idea