The following should do the trick.  However, you have to keep \setnostrut and
\setstrut around the figure because the before and after keys for captions are
not (yet) implemented.

\setuplayout[grid=yes]
\showgrid

\starttexdefinition caption:text #1
  \setuplocalinterlinespace[line=2.2ex] #1
\stoptexdefinition

\setupcaptions
  [
    width=fit,
    align=last,
    headstyle={\ss\bfx},
    style={\ss\tfx},
    before={\setnostrut},
    textcommand=\getvalue{caption:text},
  ]

\starttext

\startsubsection[title={Subsection title}]
  \input dawkins
  \input dawkins

  \setnostrut
  \startplacefigure
    [title={\input zapf }]
    \framed[width=0.6\textwidth,height=10ex]{figure}
  \stopplacefigure
  \setstrut

\stopsubsection

\startsubsection[title={Subsection title}]
  \input dawkins
\stopsubsection

\startsubsection[title={Subsection title}]
  \input dawkins
  \input dawkins
\stopsubsection

\stoptext