On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:43:29 +0100, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

 * if `scale=' is not the way to achieve invariant and unambiguous size
of images embedded in the document, what is? `width=XXX cm'? i.e.: how
is this supposed to be done correctly(TM)?
 just use width=4cm and so

understood, will do (thanks to henning, too, for answering). in any case, I have settled for `width={fraction}\textwidth' as the most convenient solution. but if you don't mind explaining: _why_ is `scale' causing me a problem in the first place? what is the actual intended (and good) use of this parameter?

..