I have a very long table (landscape) with local footnotes that I wish to
split over two pages so that
(a) the table is on a verso page and
(b) the notes on the next recto page.

Any suggestions about how to do this will be gratefully received.

Here is a MWE that is not too small, I hope.

\starttext
\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}
\setupnotation[footnote][numberconversion=characters]
\startlocalfootnotes
\setupTABLE[frame=off,split=yes]
\setupTABLE[c][1,2,3,4,5,6][roffset=.3pc]
\setupTABLE[c][2,3,4,5,6,7][loffset=.3pc]

\startplacetable[title={Hellenistic calendars},
location={page,header,high,90}] %leftpage does not seem to work
{\setbox\scratchbox\vbox{%
\bTABLE
\bTABLEbody
\bTR\bTD \eTD