-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Bug regarding placement and size of primes
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 17:10:25 +0200
From: Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl>
To: Mathias Schickel <m...@fa.uni-tuebingen.de>

On 6/12/2017 4:54 PM, Mathias Schickel wrote:
the alternative is that i waste time again and again on getting something to work for all fonts and all combinations which leads to a mess that i then need to maintain without any gain

At first: Thank you very much for your work!

so, i decided to follow a route that works for most fonts / cases and not some messy hybrid solution (and i don't want a different setup or bag of tricks for each font that is out there as that is a long term no-go)

But I have to contradict you here: It has nothing to do with special or hybrid fonts. The problem persists at present (using the LuaTeX version that is shipped with the Garden version) in /all/ fonts. The primes are not rendered as they should in /any/ font I tried out. As Mikael told me, you optimised the code for LuaTeX 1.05 which seems to be terminated September this year. But until then the output of primes will be not correct. I have no possibility to switch back to the current (non-beta) version of ConTeXt, because this version contains the bugs with primes you have already resolved.

there will probably be a 1.0.5 one of these days (also for other reasons) but Mojca has to configure the garden compile farm

This means that ConTeXt is not usable for me until LuaTeX 1.05 will be released or until I am able to compile the source of LuaTeX 1.05 on my own. Some of the latest betas (the version one or two weeks ago) did solve all problems regarding primes. The problem I am referring to rose up in the most recent betas. As Mikael told me, this is because you introduced new code to work with LuaTeX 1.05. This is very nice, but because this version is not yet released, this decision is questionable, since this makes ConTeXt unusable until this release (if you need primes).

So I appreciate your hard work, but I would be nice to have a version that runs with the current LuaTeX version of the beta of ConTeXt (or alternatively it would be nice if instructions are provided to compile the source of LuaTeX for every OS that can be used simply).

then just use old versions and then accept the bugs and limitations in those versions

And (to repeat myself) the problem has nothing to do with special fonts of hybrid version or whatever. You get the problem using standard Latin Modern or any font else. Simply try
latin modern has all kind of issues ... and it's inconsistent with cambria, other gyre fonts etc ... in a decade of luatex and open type math fonts i captured a lot of font issues in runtiem fixes but that will always give side effects

so, i can fix somethign for you with lm and then someone else complains about lucida etc etc

as i explained before, primes are a mess conceptually .. not a real character and not a proper superscript candidate either so when one corrects for one aspect one has to fight the other

also, we have unicode and therefore multiple primes are one character

i simply have no time (nor motivation) to spend days on some temporary solution that will be complained about also and discarded a while later anyway