> Am 12.06.2017 um 17:10 schrieb Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl>:
>
> On 6/12/2017 4:54 PM, Mathias Schickel wrote:
>>> the alternative is that i waste time again and again on getting something
>>> to work for all fonts and all combinations which leads to a mess that i
>>> then need to maintain without any gain
>> At first: Thank you very much for your work!
>>> so, i decided to follow a route that works for most fonts / cases and not
>>> some messy hybrid solution (and i don't want a different setup or bag of
>>> tricks for each font that is out there as that is a long term no-go)
>> But I have to contradict you here: It has nothing to do with special or
>> hybrid fonts. The problem persists at present (using the LuaTeX version that
>> is shipped with the Garden version) in /all/ fonts. The primes are not
>> rendered as they should in /any/ font I tried out.
>> As Mikael told me, you optimised the code for LuaTeX 1.05 which seems to be
>> terminated September this year. But until then the output of primes will be
>> not correct. I have no possibility to switch back to the current (non-beta)
>> version of ConTeXt, because this version contains the bugs with primes you
>> have already resolved.
>
> there will probably be a 1.0.5 one of these days (also for other reasons) but
> Mojca has to configure the garden compile farm

Okay, that would be great. But could you tell me how I can get the files and
compile them? Mikael did write me instructions that work for Linux, but I am on
MacOS. My problem would be solved if I could get the source and compile LuaTeX
1.05 on my own on MacOS. :-)

>> This means that ConTeXt is not usable for me until LuaTeX 1.05 will be
>> released or until I am able to compile the source of LuaTeX 1.05 on my own.
>> Some of the latest betas (the version one or two weeks ago) did solve all
>> problems regarding primes. The problem I am referring to rose up in the most
>> recent betas. As Mikael told me, this is because you introduced new code to
>> work with LuaTeX 1.05. This is very nice, but because this version is not
>> yet released, this decision is questionable, since this makes ConTeXt
>> unusable until this release (if you need primes).
>> So I appreciate your hard work, but I would be nice to have a version that
>> runs with the current LuaTeX version of the beta of ConTeXt (or
>> alternatively it would be nice if instructions are provided to compile the
>> source of LuaTeX for every OS that can be used simply).
>
> then just use old versions and then accept the bugs and limitations in those
> versions

How can I get the beta of last week or the week before? In those betas you have
not yet included the new code (for use with LuaTeX 1.05) and everything worked
really fine. The --context=current garden version has several bugs regarding
primes you have solved in the mentioned betas. So it would make no sense at all
to use this version. I would need one of the older betas or the most recent one
with LuaTeX 1.05.

>> And (to repeat myself) the problem has nothing to do with special fonts of
>> hybrid version or whatever. You get the problem using standard Latin Modern
>> or any font else. Simply try
> latin modern has all kind of issues ... and it's inconsistent with cambria,
> other gyre fonts etc ... in a decade of luatex and open type math fonts i
> captured a lot of font issues in runtiem fixes but that will always give side
> effects
>
> so, i can fix somethign for you with lm and then someone else complains about
> lucida etc etc

I am not using Latin Modern. I only mentioned that because I wanted to stress
that I am not referring to exotic fonts. (I totally agree on you regarding
Latin Modern; I think Cambria should be the reference since this font is the
font that established the opentype math standard.)
In fact I am using Minion Math (which is a really stunning font) or Stix 2.
There had been no problems in those fonts with primes in the betas of the last
weeks. And as Mikeal suggests the problems are resolved if I could use LuaTeX
1.05.

So in fact the only thing I am complaining about is that everything worked one
or two betas ago until it is „broken“ in the newest beta since this one seems
to be based on code that requires LuaTeX 1.05 (which makes sense of course
since this will be the upcoming release) that is not shipped alongside the
beta. So I am not able to understand why code is provided in the beta that
requires a LuaTeX version that is not shipped alongside (and especially in view
of the fact that we had a perfectly working beta regarding primes last week;
this means I think it would have been a great idea to wait including the newest
code for primes that requires LuaTeX 1.05 until LuaTeX 1.05 is shipped with the
beta too). :-)

> as i explained before, primes are a mess conceptually .. not a real character
> and not a proper superscript candidate either so when one corrects for one
> aspect one has to fight the other
>
> also, we have unicode and therefore multiple primes are one character
>
> i simply have no time (nor motivation) to spend days on some temporary
> solution that will be complained about also and discarded a while later anyway

I perfectly understand that. And every work regarding primes is done, as I
think. But one way to make us of it would be to use the beta of last week (or
maybe the week before) or the most recent one together with LuaTeX 1.05. But I
have no idea how to make use of that ways. :-)

So I am simply asking: How can I use older betas or how can I get the source of
LuaTeX 1.05 on a Mac and compile it?

> Hans

Mathias