Your suggestion with foregroundstyle and foregroundcolor works. Thank you!

\setlayer[AddressBg]
  {\framed[width=55mm,height=30mm,
  align=right,background=color,
  backgroundcolor=lightgray,
foregroundcolor=red,foregroundstyle=\ss\tfa]{\xmlall{#1}{/address}}}

My question (my ’need’) was quite simple: how I can have a workflow in which I
can produce serial letters based upon contextmkiv (as I did in mkii).

I encountered a number of difficulties (in steps):

1. I first noticed that I could not add a letter text, either in the file
itself, or by means of \input.

At that point the sample knuth file was not processed, nor were my own external
letter files.

I did write that I use external letter files, but perhaps failed to mention
that my texts contain to my mind regular Context commands (like {\bf bold} and
\startitemize … \stopitemize). I use these commands to improve the look of my
letter.

2. The import problem itself was caused by a wrongful position of the
\starttext … \stoptext commands. This problem was solved with help of Thomas,
Wolfgang and Pablo.

3. A second problem I signalled was to have the addres moved to the desired
place. I could solve this problem by reference to the contextgarden website.
Thomas helped me finetune the style instruction.

4. Only when the input files were processed, it became obvious that these files
(including the knuth file) in a general sense are not rendered correctly.

The knuth sample document (\input knuth) contains only one single command
(\TeX\), which is not expanded. For this reason, my sample letters, which
contain regular codes, are not processed correctly either. Pablo Rodriguez
suggested that the problem was that for some reason there is only one
‘expansion’ level.

Thomas, in his last mail, now writes that according to him within the xml
setups the ‘catcodes' are changed, and, as a result, the backslash is
interpreted as a normal character rather than as introducing a command.

While understanding what it means, I guess this might imply that it is
difficult (?) or impossible (?) to correctly process files such as the knuth
text and for that matter any other letter text that contains regular Context
commands.

Nevertheless, for the moment this problem remains unsolved.

What would you advise as the next step?

Should the letter be somehow set-up outside xml setups rather than inside?
Should the letter texts (and a specific knuth sample text) be reformatted as
xml?

So in sum, I sincerely do not think I kept anyone guessing about my needs. The
technical problems presented themselves one by one, step by step. Yet if I did,
I apologize.

Kind regards,

Robert