On 8/10/2017 12:16 AM, Alan Bowen wrote:

2. I should like to have all the math lettering in the Brill font. But simply setting the Brill font as my math mainface runs into more problems—I still do not get lowercase Greek and it not only messes up 2+2 =4 , it also reports the error—Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set—when it comes to the display math. My efforts to figure this out have not been successful thus far, so any suggestions will be most welcome.
you really have to start with a math font because such a font has more properties than just a few alphabetic characters

then you can overload characters but you need to use the proper code points for them (unicode ranges with sometimes holes)