On 8/11/2017 7:45 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 16:15:06 +0200
Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

Question: does anyone rely on ~ being active and a nbsp in math mode?

Hi Hans,

This is quite common practice in the TeX world.

I have configured my text editor to highlight the utf-8 nbsp, and I use
it largely in text mode. However, it is often my practice to still use
the tilde in math mode, as its explicit presence is always there for a
reason, in order to achieve some effect. So I am accustomed to
interpreting the tilde in math mode in this way.

The question as to whether or not this use within ConTeXt should be
promoted/encouraged is another one. Let me simply suggest that many
users simply copy equations from one source to another, and so it may
be valuable to remain compatible with (La)TeX usage.
it can become an option some day then ... because it permits auto-resolving ~= to the proper symbol (as we do with := and such)