Hans made some changes a while ago.

Enabling export, floats are handled differently, notably side floats
become location=here. Hans tells me that this derives from how the xml
export is constructed, and this makes handling certain bugs with the
export possible.

I have urged Hans to consider, if this need be so, that the PDF file
produced when export is enabled NOT overwrite a PDF that might have
been produced in a run where export was not enabled. The easiest in my
opinion would be for this PDF to be placed in the filename-export/
sub-directory, leaving filename.pdf (if exists) untouched. Hans
answered that he would have to think about this as it would break his
present workflow where he runs context from his (Scite) editor and
relies looking at the PDF to see certain results.

Whereas I might want to export systematically, Hans suggests that one
should export in a separate run using modes for example. This is not a
bad idea, but I would NOT want to have to then make a third run to fix
the "broken" PDF. This would be a nightmare in bookkeeping and prone to
errors.

Alan