Dear Otared,

Thank you for checking my code.

> The strange fact is that if one puts
>       \startitem $\overline{A} = A$ \stopitem
> as the first item in your example (instead of the second), then ConTeXt
> creates three columns, with the first item the result of the above line, and
> then items 2 and 3 in the second column and finally item 4 in the third
> column. Despite this the textwidth is divided into four…

I have noticed before what you described. If there are 8 items, the outputs are
all different depends on the location of \overline.
I couldn’t see any pattern in the output.
The only thing I can see is that the command ‘\overline’  makes a blank line,
and I just guess that it is related with the column environment.

> I hope Hans will see your message and fix the issue.

Yes, it is also my hope. And, I believe that he also solve the alignment
problem too.

Best regards,

Dalyoung