Hi Jonas,

A desktop editor, not so much. But it'd be wonderful to have a cloud based
one with Git integration. I've rolled my own with floobits and my own VM,
but that doesn't scale and I can't share it with my students.

What you describe has already been worked on by overleaf in terms of a
realtime option instead of a code option. Maybe extending their work would
be a good place to start?
Cheers,
-Brian