No, in ConTeXt one NEVER, EVER mixes key=value lists with simple
keywords (parsing would otherwise be very less efficient).

The feature to be able to declare a "namespace" (such as the
one called "suffix") having particular values of its parameters is
really powerful. Think of it as "xtable:suffix" that inherits from the
namespace "xtable" but then lives a life of its own...

\startxcell takes and optional namespace specification, i.e. [suffix]
and an optional key=value list of parameters, i.e. [ny=2,...]. These
parameters override locally the values that are otherwise carried by
the namespace.

ConTeXt gurus: I hope that I have gotten this explanation right.

Alan