Am Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:21:21 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> But xits is in this case not lying about the italic. The cal-P has a
>> large overhang and one would like to take this somehow into account.
>
> well, how should math (or whatever) know what comes after it ...

I wasn't looking for a completly automatic solution. Only something
that lets me retrieve the correct kern and insert it (or suppress it
if needed)

> only when it binds with a character
..
> maybe inserting a zerowidthjoiner character helps
>
> $ .... \Uchar"200D$

Looks good. And for the record: \strut works the other way round and
suppress the kern.

>> Btw: I found in the luatex manuel the options
>>     \mathoption nocharitalic 1
>> but it seems to do nothing (the example in the manual show imho
>> identical output).

> these flags are just for testing (the mathoption ones will go away
> eventually which is why we use \mathoption) .. there are other
> \math*mode etc parameters

It would be good to mention this in the manual. It is rather
confusing to see examples that claim to show the effect of some
setting and then do nothing.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/