On 4/11/2018 2:00 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
Am Wed, 11 Apr 2018 10:53:58 +1200 schrieb Henri Menke:

The math kerning seems to be broken in recent versions of LuaTeX.  When I
process the MWE below with TeX Live 2017 (LuaTeX 1.0.4) I get a different result
from the latest beta (LuaTeX 1.07.0).

We see this in latex too, at looks as if only single atoms are
affected, so adding something to the subscript gives another result:

$\gamma_{e^2} \gamma_{ee} \gamma_{e\hphantom{\strut}} \gamma_{e} $

(I can't test it with context, for some reason it currently don't
find the stix fonts on this pc)
The usual 'math italic mess' where fonts assume italic correction instead of proper math kerns.

I'll add a fix for that. We already have \mathscriptcharmode (default 1)
for lists and will have \mathboxcharmode (also defaulting to 1) for loose chars. We can turn it off in order to investigate issues with real math kerns (which most fonts seem to lack). Depending on how fonts develop We might need a font bound flag too.

(In context i might turn these italics into proper math kerns some day.)