I believe, you would need the setups, even if you had set up typescripts.
For some reason, the environments for footnotes and marginnotes are
different from that of the main content's.

I got this solution from Wolfgang/Hans two years ago, so I suppose it's the
officially recommended way.

I do not know how heavy setupdirections is, but this method, I guess,
applies that command *once per page*.  It might be too much, but it's the
price you pay for correct bidi formatting.  For example, I hate to see that
I need to babysit page numbers (LTR) within Farsi text (RTL) in headers but
that's life.

‪On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 8:22 AM ‫Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد‬‎ <
idris.ha...@colostate.edu> wrote:‬

> Salaam, Mohammad Hossein, Otared,
>
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 15:27:56 -0600, Mohammad Hossein Bateni
> <bat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > \startsetups[bidi:footnotes]
> > \setupdirections[bidi=on]
> > \stopsetups
> > \setupnotes[footnote][setups=bidi:footnotes]
>
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 22:31:05 -0600, Otared Kavian <ota...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > %%%%% begin test-bidi-footnote.tex
> > \setupdirections[bidi=global]
> > \startsetups[bidi:footnotes]
> > \setupdirections[bidi=on]
> > \definedfont[file:almfixed.otf*arabic at 14pt]
> > \stopsetups
> > \setupnotes[footnote][setups=bidi:footnotes]
> >
> > \starttext
> > \definedfont[file:almfixed.otf*arabic at 14pt]
> > Test امتحان test
> > \startfootnote
> > Test امتحان test
> > \stopfootnote{}
> > \stoptext
> > %%%%% end test-bidi-footnote.tex
>
> Many thanks. Question: Is this use of setups now the "official" or
> preferred way to handle footnote typography options? On the surface, it
> appears to be overkill. For the declaration
>
> \setupdirections[bidi=global]
>
> shouldn't that mean that bidi is applied, well, globally?
>
> For \definedfont the behavior is less surprising, since that is obviously
> a local command. But is setups the official way to globalize the command
> (aside from typescripts or simplefonts)?
>
> Best wishes
> Idris
>
> >> On 20 Jun 2018, at 23:22, ⁨Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد⁩
> >> <⁨idris.ha...@colostate.edu⁩> wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear gang,
> >>
> >> In the attached/following example, bidi is not applied in the footnote:
> >>
> >> \setupdirections[bidi=global]
> >>
> >> \starttext
> >> \definedfont[file:almfixed.otf*arabic at 14pt]
> >> Test امتحان test
> >> \startfootnote
> >> \definedfont[file:almfixed.otf*arabic at 14pt]
> >> Test امتحان test
> >> \stopfootnote{}
> >> \stoptext
> >>
> >> Is there something else that I need to do? Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >> [Also: Is there a way to not have to declare \definedfont twice?]
>

> --
> Idris Samawi Hamid, Professor
> Department of Philosophy
> Colorado State University
> Fort Collins, CO 80512

  • [NTG-context] bidi in fo... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
    • Re: [NTG-context] b... Mohammad Hossein Bateni
    • Re: [NTG-context] b... Otared Kavian
      • Re: [NTG-contex... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
        • Re: [NTG-co... Mohammad Hossein Bateni
        • Re: [NTG-co... Alan Braslau
          • Re: [NT... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
            • Re... Wolfgang Schuster
              • ... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
                • ... Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
                • ... Wolfgang Schuster