On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:21:28 +0200
<cont...@joshuamoerman.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am now playing around with ConTeXt to see if it fits my needs for
> writing my thesis :-).
>
> One thing which did not work for me was the use of crossref in bibtex
> entries. This feature is used when generating bibtex entries via DBLP
> (which is quite standard in computer science). It is used to have one
> single entry for the journal/conference which the lists the editors.
> Consequently you can have several paper entries referring to that,
> without duplicating the editors. This has worked fine for me in
> LaTeX. But in ConTeXt it seems the crossref is not used at all.
> Example:
>
> \usebtxdefinitions[apa]
> \usebtxdataset[biblio.bib]
>
> \starttext
> See \cite{PAPER}.
> Version: \contextversion.
> \placelistofpublications
> \stoptext
>
> @inproceedings{PAPER,
>       author    = {First Last},
>       title     = {PaperTitle},
>       booktitle = {Conference of BlaBla},
>       year      = {2017},
>       crossref  = {CONF},
> }
>
> @proceedings{CONF,
>       title     = {Conference on BlaBla},
>       year      = {2017},
>       editor    = {Edith Tor},
>       publisher = {Springer},
> }
>
> Result (copied from pdf):
> See (Last, 2017). Version: 2018.07.02 14:39.
> Last, F. (2017). PaperTitle. In PaperTitle. Conference of BlaBla.
> Author.
>
> Expected (made by manually copying editor/publisher):
> See (Last, 2017). Version: 2018.07.02 14:39.
> Last, F. (2017). PaperTitle. In E. Tor (Ed.) Conference of BlaBla.
> Springer.
>

> Should I setup the style differently? Or is the crossref feature not
> supported?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> All the best,
> Joshua

crossref is implemented and works, but failed as shown above, when the
crossref points to a "future" entry, that is one not already processed
(inverting the order of the two entries above will show the desired
behavior).

This is not good: the order should not matter, and Hans has fixed this,
to appear in the "next beta". Thank you Joshua for uncovering this.

Alan